• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kinniken

General
47 Badges
Sep 8, 2003
kstudio.net
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
This will be an AAR for Quinqiu, a Chinese state on the West coast of North America in my mod Divergences. This first post is merely an introduction to Qingqiu's history and vision of the world. Future updates will have less text, and a hopefully more humorous tone ;)

This AAR will be played with version 0.4.2 of Divergences, possibly upgraded later if saved-game compatible.

Quinqiu - On the Eastern edge of the world...

zhengheships.gif

The treasure fleet that founded Sanbao

Sanbao, 1st day of the 400th year of the Landfall era. 1st January 1836, in the calendar of our feared neighbours to the south and east. Four centuries have passed already since the glorious winter morning when the great Zheng He sailed in Sanbao bay at the head of the largest fleet ever sent by a Ming emperor, claiming a whole new world for the Chinese throne. How grand were those days, when the entire world seemed to bow toward the Emperor in Nanjing, and China’s golden age never to end!

Alas, nothing ever last, and it was not long before the Manchu barbarians came down from their frozen steppes to plunge China in centuries of warfare. Poor country of our ancestors, torn apart at the seems, split even today between waring factions, the diminished Ming dynasty desperately holding out against the Manchus to the north, the Taiping fanatics to the south and peasant rebels to the west...

And so we were left, fifty years after the first Chinese settled the shores of this land, cut out from the Middle Kingdom - a few thousand of us, weak, isolated, clinging to the edge of a wild land. Many thought there was no hope for us but to pray for the return of the great Chinese fleets, return that never came. And yet we survived. What we lacked, we traded for with the local tribes, exchanging the products of our crafts for food and resources. We taught them our language and how to write it, we made friend with them, married their daughters and opened them to the teachings of the Buddha. We replaced the strength we did not have with persuasion and culture, and slowly the Ohlone and the Pomo joined us in the expending city of Sanbao.

Cut off from the Empire, the early settlers made the wise choice of electing a council to govern us, in the name of the Emperor beyond the horizon. Under their wise direction our young colony prospered and grew, and soon we started establishing new towns and exploring far inland this great continent. Now strong enough to resist hostile tribes, yet always willing to accept those keen to learn our ways, we turned from stranded survivors into a prosperous young state.

All that changed yet again a hundred and fifty years after Landfall, when rumours of strange white men from the east started coming to us through Indian tribes. Soon the news became more alarming still - the mighty though backward and bloody empire of the Aztecs had been conquered in just a few months by people described by the terrified refugees that reached our borders as “pale like ghosts, with fiery eyes, weapons like thunder - showing no fear and no mercy, and erecting tall crosses in the ruins of cities”. It did not take us long to realise that we were facing the white people from beyond the Muslim lands, in this new land of all places. The Earth was indeed round, and it was not good news.

It has been two hundred and fifty years now since we learned we would have to share this continent with the Christian nations, and so far we have managed to avoid major clashes, while warily watching the Spaniards progress to our south and the other European nations settle on the more distant eastern coast. Basking in their technical superiority, everywhere they went they drove off or killed the local populations, making it clear they were there to empty the continent and repopulate it with white settlers and black slaves. Until now, our lands were sparred their greediness - they knew we would fight back better than the Indians, and there was more empty land than settlers. But the plains are filling fast. Soon we will have to face them for our right to a future.

v22io.jpg

Quinqiu on the 400th anniversary of Landfall

v21p.jpg

The situation in North America, 1836

A second Divergences AAR! Thats awesome! :)

Cant wait to see all the wonders in that mod.
Altough maybe a European nation might have been better because the other one is also in the Americas.

Hey there, i decided to feature your AAR in my contest thread, altough its not participating. :)

I hope to read many updates =)

So is Chinese California civilised?

What sort of population and ethnic mix do you have?

This mod and AAR look very interesting and I shall be sure to follow this. :)

Yeah, overview of the colony please. What is LandFall?

Isn't that obviously when the Chinese made landfall in California .....

This looks incredible! :eek: Tell me that the green nation on the Florida Peninsula is Seminole. Even if it's not true. ;) Quite a setup you've got there - already the future seems tense. No matter what happens, there will be war or some very dangerous diplomacy in the future. Might I ask who owns Alaska/Yukon Territories right now if my eyes aren't mistaking me?

I was actually thinking of cancelling that AAR as my first go as Qingqiu had gone too smoothly to be interesting (see the Divergences Empire thread for details), but since there seems to be some demand I'll push forward with this AAR, with a twist: I'm going to force myself to "play nice" and not go on conquest overdrive like I generally do. As such, here are the rules I'll abide by:

• No going over the BB limit
  • No taking territory (for myself) from a civilised state except when in a defensive war
  • Attacking civilised states is allowed only if they have attacked me or an ally in the past
  • Intervening in wars as a GP is allowed
  • Helping an ally in an offensive war he started is allowed, but rule #2 applies

Oh, and playing in very hard, not that it changes things that much.

They should make the game much more challenging, as I won't be able to increase my population fast through land grab.

Chapter I - State of the Union, 400 LE

Qingqiu starts as a democracy, with a population of Qingqian culture (mixture of Chinese and local tribes) and Mahayana religion, along with a significant minority of native American animists:

v25copier.jpg

My main advantages are its democratic politics, which are good for attracting migrants, it's fairly high technology level, and the lot of empty space surrounding it.

v24copier.jpg

My biggest challenge is a very low population (600k, against around 4 millions for Gran Colombia, and from 1.2 to 1.8 for the other European states on the continent), and that nobody likes Qingqiiu :(

The initial moves are simple: let's max taxes out to generate some income to industrialise, scratch the navy as it's a luxury we can't afford anyway, and pick "Romanticism" as our first tech, in the hope of getting lucky in initial prestige and rising to GP status fast - plus, with some good romantic operas telling the world the story of our plucky little nation surviving against the odds in the vast emptiness, maybe the Western powers will like us better?

v21copier.jpg

And finally, let us start our great trek inland, to secure as much of the continent as possible before stronger powers wake up and start grabbing it as well...

v23copier.jpg

Rise to Great Power status

After a few months to accumulate money and let the economy settle down, it was time to check Qingqiu's industries. Sadly, it seemed the only starting factory was a money pit of a lumber mill... Maybe because Qingqiu does not know how to make lumber mills, despite starting with them? A mod owner needs to check his setup, cleary :wacko:

Anyway, the decision was taken to drop that weird lumber industry and focus fully on THE high-tech, rapid-growth industry: Cement! Yeah, cement. Lots and lots and lots of cement. Not very sexy maybe, but at least it sells for more than its inputs!

Next came finding a use for the one irregular brigade that Qingqiu weirdly starts with (who does quality control on that mod, I wonder??). If they are not fit for fighting, maybe a bit of re-branding is needed: let them be the "Trekkers", charged with the important mission of speeding up our colonial efforts!

v28copier.jpg

And then..

v29copier.jpg

Out of the blue, a great news: someone likes us after all! Or at least, wants our soldiers to fight its wars! Hmm, tough decision. On one side an alliance with a significant power could deter enemy attacks on us... On the other, Plantagenia has a nasty habit of getting involved in lots of wars with more powerful neighbours. It might be best to keep to our policy of neutrality.

Speaking of neutrality or the lack of it, Qingqiu's number one aim is to get a lot of prestige fast, to become a Great Power. And short of colonising, what better way to do that than to help civilise some backward place? Promise, it's not nasty imperialism, we have a tradition of being nice with natives and everything. So it's decided, let's pay a visit to Hawaii. We'll need boats, two of them to be precise, as those things cost a fortune in upkeep:

And with that, an expeditionary force is born:

In the meantime, war is declared on the East coast. We can only hope those warmongering Europeans stay distracted by those conflicts while we peacefully forge our way deeper in the continent...

v210copier.jpg

Shortly after, a significant power shift: the Seven Republics overtake Gran Colombia to become a Great Power. This could be good news for us, as GC is the greater threat currently.

]
v213copier.jpg

v215copier.jpg

Our first major success! We have expended our country to include the Xinhe region. This sight of our pioneer spirit is not missed outside our border, and from one day to the next we are suddenly considered almost a Great Power! Those westerners are easily dazzled. So far so good!

Of course, we immediately start pushing further east, to prevent Gran Colombia from taking land from us:

Our success keep increasing, as we are soon able to convince the King of Hawaii to let his lands enter our generous republic. Our expedition corp set sails for Fidji, where it hopes to do as good a negotiating job.

v217copier.jpg

And then... Our prestige has risen so fast, those foolish westerners hail us as a Great Power! With less than a million citizens and no army to speak of, we are suddenly considered nothing less than the 6th greatest power on the planet. All hail Qingqiu!

v218copier.jpg

But not the kind to rest on our laurels, we immediately start influencing as much as possible Gran Colombia, to bring it within our influence and ally it as fast as possible. Who knows how long we will stay a Great Power and them not?

Last edited:
Alexspeed: thanks for that, it's one of the thing that convinced me to go ahead and do this AAR ;)

Zzzzz...: Indeed, landfall is the day Zheng He discovered America by reaching Sanbao (San Francisco in our world). It happens to be the 1st January, 1436.

Communitarian!: Venice owns Florida. However though I didn't picture it in my AAR, they lost it early to Bohemia, a land-locked country ironically enough.

Maybe because he is so impressed at our recently acquired Great Power status, the King of Fidji is "convinced" to join our great state! We immediately order the construction of a naval base, as there are some interesting-looking islands nearby.

Meanwhile, the Seven Republics are having a nasty hangover from their "We are a Great Power" party:

And in foreign news, Bengal wins a major war against the Mughals, and industrialise rapidly to upset once more the Great Powers rating:

v221copier.jpg

More bad news for the Seven Republics, ex-Great Power:

One war finishes, the next once start... Looks like the East Coast countries will be busy for a while. Good thing Qingqiu is not involved, so far...

East, east always, we are going east!

But when pushing forward, an unwelcome surprise comes up... We are no longer without challenger in the colonisation game:

Not that this stops us from finally making them our first client nation - quite a shift in power in only a few years... And a very welcome safety net, as we are soon allied with Gran Colombia too.

And it's time for loads of our favourite good, prestige, lots of it, as we invent romantic literature to glorify our Trekkers that allowed us to claim Terres-Wichita before the Colombians:

In foreign news, our homeland is still wrecked by wars, though there is significant movement as Daxi overthrows fellow rebels Shun to be come probably the stringest rebel state. Poor China!

In North America however the situation is settling, as we integrate Plantagenia in our SoI. Glory to us! Next in line: Japan. We have a common border with them, and their military is much stronger than ours (not hard):

And as a reminder not to count your chickens before they are hatched... War!

Our faithful ally (I hope so, our alliance being about six months old) is attacked by the smaller but more modern Amazonie. Well, considering the size of our army and our absence of manpower, we'll have to limit ourselves to moral support and asking Plantagenia to help. Good luck, Gran Colombia.

More prestige!

Even more prestige!

Less prestige... Gran Colombia and the Plantagenian task force having gotten crushed by Plantagenia, as war leader I have little choice but to sue for peace. If Amazonie had wanted to, it could have gotten much more.

In happier news, we discover experimental railroads and proceed to build them everywhere. Hurray for Qingqiu!

And it's time to finish an other colony. We have now successfully cut off both Gran Colombia and Platagenia from the interior, and are close to doing the same to Vinland. Lucky for us all three are too busy fighting stupid wars to compete.

To celebrate the event, we invent Romantic Art, and commission huge paintings of hardy settlers exploring the great unknown, and invites impressed art critiques to admire them. We are more prestigious than ever!

We even send our usual friendly task force to remote Rapa Nui, and exchange one of great painting to the King in exchange for his island. Or so the official version has it, at least.

And with this, we can toast our official status as the most prestigious country in the world. It's 408 LE, we still have less than a million adult male citizens, two transport ships and ten divisions, and yet we just surpassed the Dual Monarchy in the eyes of the world. It's a good time to be Qingqiuan!

That's it for tonight :)

So far, smooth sailing, though I'm on much shakier ground than my rating suggests. Everything basically depends on me avoiding a major war, as it will take ages for me to have decent manpower. I'm hoping I can keep GC, Plantagenia and Vinland in my sphere - all three are close to becoming GPs. Japan only needs some prestige from colonial wars, Gran Colombia and Plantagenia some more industrialisation. If they do, I hope my alliances with them will hold.

You should take a piece of the "7" Republics. From sea to shining sea!

You use soldiers to hurry up the colonization? Cheater!:p
Otherwise, now with GRC and PLA in your SoI, the trade will flow in Qinqiu. Have you ever thought about returning home? (forming China)